Pages

Saturday 6 October 2012

Let them eat cake!

Chocolate cake seems to be everyone's favourite, and well as much as I too enjoy my fair share of it, I thought instead i'd make a classic that everyone seems to enjoy also. Whenever I've asked people about cake, I can assure you, they will think very highly of Lemon Drizzle cake. Before today it's actually one that I've never tried, I think I was a little scared of well.. the whole lemon thing. I'm not too sure what i have against the little yellow things but I had to stop being silly now and just bake the damn cake.
It was also most difficult to find a recipe for this, I ended up with 'Nigella Lawson's Perfect Every Time Lemon Drizzle Cake'. Well I do love Nigella! The recipe goes as follows...

Lemon-Syrup Loaf Cake (45 minutes cooking time)
125g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
2 large eggs
zest of 1 lemon
175g self raising flour
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons milk

The most simple recipe I've come across in a while. I ignored the whole "Cream together butter and sugar first" because I cannot enjoy baking if i'm following what someone else is telling me to do and I never want my cake to taste just like theirs probably does anyway. So it's just a good old 'dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in the other, then mix it all together' My recipe takes 35 minutes and goes like this...

125g Soya Margarine
170g granulated sugar
2 Teaspoons Egg replacer (w/1 tablespoon water)
180g Self raising flour
Half a cup Soya milk
Zest of 1 Lemon
Juice of 1 Lemon


It didn't seem right putting all of the loveliness into a bread tin like Nigella's recipe tells me to, but I do think next time I try this i'll opt for the loaf as the finish appears to be a lot cleaner with that.


For the glaze it's 150g Icing Sugar and the juice of 1 lemon.
It came out a whole lot better than I thought it would, extremely light and the lemon is very subtle. 





No comments:

Post a Comment