Pages

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Fal-a-fel

I've always found being vegan fairly easy, but the worst part I have found to be is eating out. Now I'm not the sort of girl who enjoys a small salad, I don't do it at home and i refuse to settle for it whilst out and about. However, whilst I was in Leicester yesterday to visit a friend she'd pointed out a sign saying 'Veg Out' the afternoon before so we decide to look at the menu and planned to come the next day. Now this restaurant said it was fully vegetarian, but even then it doesn't mean it's safe for vegans. To my surprise though it was, I was completely spoiled for choice when we sat down browsing the menu. I've never been a fussy eater and I always make quick decisions but everything looked so good. The place is 'Mirch Masala', you can find it on Market Street in Leicester, although after looking online it seems they have them dotted across the UK. After a good fifteen minutes i decided to have the fal-a-fel (as it was written on the menu), this was in the Indian meals section. The place does Indian, Italian, Indo-Chinese and Mexican, obviously Indian having the most choice for vegans. I also ordered the Bhajia Platter and Twister fries (hey, i haven't had them in years, ok?)
I also apologise for the quality of the photos, they were taken on my iPod.
The fal-a-fel was by far, THE best falfel i've had and let me tell you i've had a lot of falfel in my time. I almost didn't want to order it since I eat so much of the stuff. It came in pitta bread with salad and chutneys, I didn't manage to get the name of the green chutney but it was lovely, slightly sweet but not too much and it also went perfect with the bhajia's, the white one was coconut and as i'm allergic I just passed them to everyone else. 


The Bhajia Platter, potato, onion, aubergine and green chilli (although I'm not a big chilli fan) fritters. I've also found with Indian food that I can never get the full flavour of the food as overwhelming spices are put with the dishes, but these were terrific. The outside was fluffy with a slight crunch and the inside was slighty mushy but not in that gross sort of way, and i could taste everything without my mouth feeling like it was on fire. Side note: do not give me spicy food if you want to live...
Even the green chilli fritter wasn't hot nor spicy which was a shock. I did share this around with the other girls I was with though, i'm not all that greedy!
Unfortunately I could not handle dessert, but I enjoyed the little message that was on the menu. There wasn't a lot of choice for dessert however, apart from a couple of muffins and traditional Indian sweets but that's better than the usual nothing I tend to come across!
Mirch Masala definitely get a 5 out of 5, I look forward to going there again.




No comments:

Post a Comment